FALL TRYOUTS FOR THE 2013-2014 SEASON WILL BE SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2013
TUESDAY, 9/10/13 AND WEDNESDAY, 9/11/13
BOTH 7-8 PM IN SQUIRES ROOM 234
We do allow video tryouts for those that live far away from Virginia Tech. Email Steph or Marina for further info on a video tryout.
- Potential new members MUST attend one information session to try out for the team. If you are coming from out of town please email Steph or Marina so they can email you the necessary information before you try out!
- There will be two information meetings: Both will be held the week before tryouts. At these meetings we will discuss all the aspects of our team and answer questions.
- Sign ups for tryout times will also occur at info meetings.
coming from out of town, any questions you have may be answered by
email and tryout times will also be set up by email. If any further
questions exist, you will be given time to ask before you tryout.
- All tryouts will be held at Virginia Techniques Gymnastics. For directions see the “Our Gym” tab.
- All cheerleaders trying out will sign up for a 20 minute time slot.
- During the 20 minutes cheerleaders will be asked to perform jumps to tumbling, standing tumbling, standing series tumbling pass, a running tumbling pass, and will stunt with previous members of the team.
- Cheerleaders will need to report to the gym 20 minutes prior to their tryout time to stretch and prepare.
- Please have collegiate appearance and try out in a sports bra, spandex shorts, and cheer shoes.
- We will ask you to leave after your tryout time is over.
Results of tryouts will be sent out by e-mail the night of tryouts.
After fall tryouts, the team will practice and the coaching staff will designate alternate positions and have the right to do further cuts if they feel necessary. Choreography will take place on a date after fall tryouts.
Our team is a competition-only cheerleading squad, so truly we are looking specifically for stunting, tumbling and jumping ability.
- Standing: Standing tuck. Jumps to tuck strongly encouraged
- Standing Series: Two back handsprings ending in a tuck or better. Jumps to standing series tumbling pass will also be evaluated at tryouts
- Running: Minimum of a round-off back handspring tuck
Bases & Backs
- Heel Stretch, Scorpion, Scale, Arabesque
- Full Down from all stunts (double preferred)
- Basket experience preferred, but not required
- Solid group stunting for all body positions
- Clean catches of doubles
- Bases ability to side and main is preferred
Note: Cheerleading is a subjective sport. The decision of the coaching staff is final.